Guest Blog: Nikki Johnson, SuperNoVa Mom, Shares Doggie Treat Recipe

Finally, spring is in the air! Every spring – well, honestly, every season – I get the urge to bake. There is always a holiday or an excuse to make something festive, but it is very hard for me to bake something delicious and not eat MORE than what is an acceptable treat portion. I live by the 80/20 Diet Rule, also known as the Pareto Principle, which is basically eating clean 80 percent of the time so that in the remaining 20 percent, I can indulge with no guilt. In short, it’s everything in moderation so that I do not feel deprived because deprivation often leads to binge eating and/or failure.

Cap samples some Springtime Treats. Photo by Nikki Johnson, SuperNoVa Mom blog

Cap samples some Springtime Treats. Photo by Nikki Johnson, SuperNoVa Mom blog

Right now, I am gearing up for bathing suit season, so instead of baking for humans, I decided to bake for our puppy, Cap, short for Captain America! Cap is a large breed rescue and we believe he is half Bernese mountain dog, half German shepherd. At just 4 months old, he is already almost 40 pounds and steadily growing in size AND in hunger! Just like with people, carrying around extra weight is unhealthy, so our family is very conscious of Cap’s daily calorie intake and exercise. Not only is he getting regular meals, but he is consuming training treats frequently. However, just like I abide by the 80/20 Diet Rule, I believe Cap should too. That is why I wanted to make him some special, homemade treats filled with health benefits, such as banana for potassium and vitamin C and flaxseed, which is filled with nutrients that contribute to healthy skin and coat.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (can be substituted with rice or coconut flour for a grain-free option)
  • ½ banana, mashed
  • ⅓ cup peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • ¼ cup almond milk (unsweetened)

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Mix ingredients together thoroughly using a spatula until well combined.
  4. Roll out mixture on a floured surface to approximately ¼-inch pieces. Cut into desired shapes. Repeat with remaining dough.
  5. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

These treats were so easy to make and they actually tasted pretty good. (Yes, I ate some of the dough! So did the kids!) This recipe is kid tested and puppy approved!

IMG_5810

Keep on the lookout for more healthy living tips for you and your pups!


Nikki Johnson is a former AOLer turned blogger and online health coach. She writes about nutrition, fitness and random mom-related things on her personal blog, SuperNoVa Mom. When she’s not working out, writing or chasing after her two children and new puppy, she’s spending time on FacebookTwitter and Instagram. Finding the time to do it all is a constant challenge, but she thrives on coffee and staying busy.