The GlowDogGlow 5K is a month away but no need to fear! Four-week training programs are here! These 4-week training programs are specifically designed for canine-human running pairs and will help you both run a marathon safely! If at any point you find the training program is progressing too quickly, you can repeat a week before moving onto the next week. Click here to catch up on Week 1 training!
4-Week Beginner Program
For those currently running 0-10 miles a week
- Day 1: Run for 15 minutes at a comfortable pace. Slow down and walk for 1 minute. Repeat 2 times
- Day 2: Rest or go on a 10 minute leash walk.
- Day 3: Run for 17 minutes at a comfortable pace. Walk for 1 minute and then run again for 7 minutes
- Day 4: Rest
- Day 5: Run for 19 minutes at a comfortable pace, walk for 1 minute and then run for 7 minutes
- Day 6: Rest or play fetch in the park!
- Day 7: Rest or play fetch in the park
4-Week Intermediate/Advanced Program
For those currently running 15-20 miles a week
- Day 1: 40 minute run at a comfortable pace
- Day 2: 30 minute run at a comfortable pace
- Day 3: 30 minute run at a comfortable pace followed by a 15-20 minute leash walk or jog
- Day 4: 35 minute run at a comfortable pace followed by a 15-20 minute leash walk or jog
- Day 5: Rest
- Day 6: Complete a 5-mile run
- Day 7: Complete a 3-mile run
Training programs brought to you by Dr. Lauren Talarico
Dr. Lauren Talarico BS, DVM, DACVIM (Neurology/Neurosurgery) is a Board certified veterinary neurologist/neurosurgeon, avid marathon runner, cyclist and swimmer. Dr. Talarico is also the founder of We RUFF DC, LLC, a dog specific running group serving the DC/NOVA area. She has been featured in nationally recognized publications, including Runner’s World and Marie Claire. Dr. T is the mother of two Labrador retrievers – Raesynette, the 14-year-old cancer survivor and Prefontaine, DC/NOVA’s newest marathon running Lab puppy. Follow her at @neurovet3 and @weruffdc (www.weruffdc.com; www.theneurovet.com)